Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen, are you ready to rumble? - What I am reading 2/23/2016

OK, maybe not rumble but is your PC VR ready?

Ars Technica - Valve releases tool to test whether your PC is VR ready -

Mine is not in that I can't even run the tool because I don't have Steam installed.

Dark Reading - Security Lessons From My Car Mechanic -

Four hours and more money than I care to count later, I came to a realization. I had no idea what any of that meant. More importantly, I had no idea if I was being taken for a ride. But far more significantly, I realized that my conversation with the car mechanic was typical of how we security professional sound to the people who come to us with their problems.
No, actually, that’s a lie: We sound far, far, less understandable. On a good day: “There was a drive-by download from a malware site and then some pass the hash…” And on a bad one: “There’s a highly critical XSRF vuln in the WAF and we decided to take your site offline immediately while we patch.”

From the title I thought this was going to be kind of stupid, but the author actually makes valid points.  I am not a security professional just a dabbler but even in my limited role I hear complaints like this at work.  I will strive to improve.










No comments: