Monday, February 22, 2016

I have to ask once again, where the f**k do these people work?

Is this just a Silicon Valley / San Francisco thing?

I have worked a lot of jobs in my life and I have never worked anywhere where this behavior would be tolerated:

The reality is that most people are well intentioned but genuinely blind to a lot of the crap that those who do not identify as male have to deal with. To list just a couple personal experiences:
  • I’ve had men throw dollar bills at me in a professional office(by an employee who works at that company, during work hours).
  • I’ve had an engineer on salary at a bootcamp message me to explicitly “be friends with benefits” while I was in the interview process at the school he worked for.
Those anecdotes were related by a woman who works for a company in San Francisco as a Full Stack Engineer.  An engineer, so presumably she is a professional interacting with other professionals and this is the behavior?  And look this is coming from a guy who is widely regarded as a hater of humanity and of the lowest base social skills and I wouldn't put up with this crap.  What is in the water in the Bay Area that makes people think this is ok?

To be fair - this behavior is alleged it isn't some sort of documented fact, I am just making a general point.

No comments: