Thursday, February 25, 2016

I am considering a paper called "Cyber-Security as Social Virtue Signalling"

There are a couple problems with the idea though -

1.  I don't really know anything about
     a.  Cyber-Security
     b.  Sociology
          1.  Particularly virtue-signalling
 If you’ve heard the phrase recently, it’s most likely being used according to his definition. Taking the example of someone who proclaims “I hate 4x4s!”, he says “It’s noticeable how often virtue-signalling consists of saying you hate things. It is camouflage. The emphasis on hate distracts from the fact you are really saying how good you are. If you were frank and said, ‘I care about the environment more than most people do’ or ‘I care about the poor more than others’, your vanity and self-aggrandisement would be obvious.”
source 

     c.  How to write a paper

2.  I have no credentials that would make anyone take such a paper seriously
     a.  No hobo-humping slobo babe is not a credential
     b.  Neither is being voted most likely to die in a fiery car crash at last years Christmas party.

3.  It seems to me that writing a paper on virtue-signalling (assuming I could overcome the previous        issues) is in and of itself a form of virtue-signalling and I don't think my body can handle that              much irony.

Whew, got myself out of that one without having to stab myself in the ear with an sharp pencil.  Thank God because, that hurts.

No comments: