Thursday, October 09, 2014

What I am reading 10/9/2014 - Why the Trolls Will Always Win

Wired - Why the Trolls Will Always Win -

(I)t turned out he wasn’t outraged about my work. His rage was because, in his mind, my work didn’t deserve the attention. Spoiler alert: “deserve” and “attention” are at the heart.
A year later, I wrote a light-hearted article about “haters” (the quotes matter) and something I called The Koolaid Point. It wasn’t about harassment, abuse, or threats against people but about the kind of brand “trolls” you find in, say, Apple discussion forums. My wildly non-scientific theory was this: the most vocal trolling and “hate” for a brand kicks in HARD once a critical mass of brand fans/users are thought to have “drunk the Koolaid”. In other words, the hate wasn’t so much about the product/brand but that other people were falling for it.

It's a long article, but worth the read; even if I disagree with some of it.  I will talk about that later - I am running late now and don't have time at the moment.




No comments: