Saturday, April 26, 2014

What I am Reading - Books Edition

The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football - 3/4 of the Way through.  Interesting look at the NCAA and college football but hardly the tear back the veil expose that the cover led me to expect.  Still pretty good and worth the read.



Fortune's Pawn - Just getting started on this one not a lot to say about it yet.



Flash Boys; A Wall Street Revolt - I won't say an inside look or even an in-depth look but a very informative look at the world of high speed trading and it's effect on the American stock market. Just finished it and I highly recommend it especially if coupled with "The Quants"





Timewars - The Ivanhoe Gambit - Old but pretty good. Holds up well because the author didn't use many contemporary references. Some special significance to me, I originally bought this book back in 1985 when I was driving across the US by myself for the first time ever. That was, to put it mildly, an interesting trip.


One other to mention - last week a friend and I were discussing how magic would be treated in a world where it existed. I have always maintained that if magic were common it would take the place of or supplement technology that is comon in our world. Instead of a 60 watt light bulg you would have a continual light spell in a box with shutters. Instead of cell phones a box with a magic mouth and phantom ear spell. That type of thing. The WIZ series by Rick Cook kind of treats magic that way and I couldn't think of the name or who wrote it at the time. Another series which also deals with that pattern to an extent is the Blue Moon Rising series and Hawk and Fisher stories by Simon Green and those I could remember.

No comments: