Monday, March 17, 2014

What I am reading 3/17/2014

#jobs #Tech #geek

11 Reasons I Won't Hire You - Another one of those you're doing everything wrong I'm here to correct you pieces that start popping up this time of year.  I don't know, I guess the guy has some worthwhile points but at the same time he seems a little divorced from reality.  I do know that if I walked into an interview and someone started in with the attitude that seems to be displayed in this article (and I have had interviews like this) I would just turn around and walk out (and I have) and the I would tell everyone I know to avoid company x like the plague (and I have). 

How to set up your own private instant messaging server - "The video below will walk through the process of setting up and installing Prosody, a lightweight Lua-based instant messaging server application. We'll be using Ubuntu 12.04 for our server, though Prosody is a cross-platform application and will run on Windows, OS X, and a number of different Linuxes"

Google’s Eric Schmidt On Critics Who Say College Isn’t Worth It: “They’re Just Wrong” - “The economic return to higher education over a lifetime produces significant compound greater earnings.” It’s true, on average, economists find that college raises wages by about 15-30 percent. Despite the debt, it’s a wise investment for many students."



No comments: