Friday, August 21, 2009

Where's Chad? Plus What is RS McCain's problem with geeks

I have been deathly ill the last two (three? whenever I posted last I have lost track)days. Staring at the computer for too long doesn't help so I am taking it easy for at least another day.

One thing that was brought to my attention was RS McCain's slap at geeks. I think he was being facetious but still I am going to stand up for geek honor:

This is just sad, people. It's what happens when boys whose mothers won't let them play football grow into teenagers who can't dance, then become college students who spend their weekends rolling those weird D&D dice and . . .

Well, you see how this disturbing pattern of pathology ineluctably progresses to the point where grown men actually care about the film adaptations of space fantasy novels. (ed. Starship Troopers specifically)

Am I the only one who sees this whole cluster of behaviors, centered around the telltale abnormal interest in fictionalized distant worlds and/or ancient times, as constituting something that might be called Total Geek Syndrome?


I am one of those geeks. I played D&D, read science fiction (I still read science fiction and I play World of Warcraft), and all the other behaviors that McCain complains about in his post. I also played football and baseball until I had to have my knee operated on. add 8/22/09 - and on the antisocial side I skipped school, drank beer (often I skipped school to go drink beer), and cruised the point with my friends. We were about as destructive and stupid as you can get. That behavior isn't limited to non-geeks. My high school still bears permanent scars from my and my friends presence there. I drove tanks and did 12 years as a Navy Corpsman with the Fleet Marine Force. Take any two out three libertarian conservatives and I will bet they have a similar story, so when you shit on geeks you spit on the demographic you are trying to reach. And lets not forget the holy grail of the "libertarian" movement is "Atlas Shrugged" a bad science fiction novel. When it comes right down to it I guarantee that the foundations that made people receptive to accepting Rand's message were laid by people like Robert Heinlein further I am willing to bet that if there was an objective way to measure it that Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land are much more influential in American society than Rand. This is at least in part because most science fiction authors have an optimistic vision of the future and of human (usually American) potential.

Looking at the comments I am not alone in my lack of appreciation for this post.

No comments: