Saturday, December 10, 2016

Biting the Bullet - Pursuing My CISSP (and some other stuff)

As some of you know, (well actually I expect that none of you know this since there is no you, just the voices in my head), I switched jobs earlier in the year and became a Security Analyst instead of a Network Admin.  I was doing some of the same type of work while I was working as a Network Admin, but I didn't really have a need for any certification beyond Security+.  Now if I am going to stay in this field I need to reconsider.  There is a much higher reliance on certifications in this path than in the straight networking path.  To that end I started pursuing my CISSP (or CISSISSIPPI as my co-workers and I refer to it).

In order to do this I have started developing a study plan:

1.  Cybrary's CISSP course with Kelly Handerhan.  People really seem to love her and so far I find that she does a pretty thorough and understandable presentation.

2.  Sybex CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 7th Edition - came very highly recommended by a couple CISSPs I know.

3.  Sybex CISSP Official (ISC)2 Practice Tests 1st Edition     

4.  Flashcards - homemade

5.  I also downloaded the Cybrary lectures as .mp3s so I can listen to them at work.  I have also taken then and made a long tape of each domain then overlaid those nature tapes that people sleep to so I can listen while sleeping.  I don't know how well that actually works but I do it with most important exams.  Seems to work.

These are the initial resources - I am sure others will be added as I go.

CISSP is the most important item at the moment but in addition I am also going after my CASP from CompTIA, slightly different emphasis and doesn't require an endorsement, and my CCNA Security, which is completely technical.  My current contract ends in April so I would like to have two of the three done by then.

No comments: