Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Report on the first day at the new job

So it wasn't quite what was described to me but not horribly different.  The job title is Information Security Analyst but the department I am working in is Systems Assurance.  Basically we are supposed to evaluate the different systems and make sure they comply with the requirements of NIST 800-53 and ISO 27000 series.  I was reading over some of the documentation which seems relatively straightforward. 

The guy next to me has been there about 2 months and is already pretty jaded but by his telling he is an old time security pro, being a new time security amateur I think I can hold out for 3 months :-)

Seems like we will get to access a number of the SecOps guys tools.  QRadar is the one I hadn't heard of.  SolarWinds Network Monitor, which we evaluated at BPA nd decided we preferred Cisco Prime.  A few others that we used at other jobs.

I am trying very hard to not walk in and try and be a know it all so if I have an anuerysm sometime in the next couple weeks you will know why.

No comments: