Sunday, December 20, 2015

Reading List Update - I don't know why I added these but I did

Lauren Ipsum:  A Story About Computer Science and Other Improbable Things -

Lauren Ipsum is a whimsical journey through a land where logic and computer science come to life.
Meet Lauren, an adventurer lost in Userland who needs to find her way home by solving a series of puzzles. As she visits places like the Push & Pop Café and makes friends with people like Hugh Rustic and the Wandering Salesman, Lauren learns about computer science without even realizing it—and so do you!
Read Lauren Ipsum yourself or with someone littler than you, then flip to the notes at the back of the book to learn more about logic and computer science in the real world.

This was actually linked from Things Explained and caught my eye.  I like books like this, that take serious topics and put them in a non-traditional format as an introduction for "kids".  Among other I also have the Manga Guide to Databases, Manga Guide to Physics, and The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry.

The Docker Book: Containerization is the new virtualization -

A new book designed for SysAdmins, Operations staff, Developers and DevOps who are interested in deploying the open source container service Docker.

In this book, we'll will walk you through installing, deploying, managing, and extending Docker. We're going to do that by first introducing you to the basics of Docker and its components. Then we'll start to use Docker to build containers and services to perform a variety of tasks.

We're going to take you through the development life cycle, from testing to production, and see where Docker fits in and how it can make your life easier. We'll make use of Docker to build test environments for new projects, demonstrate how to integrate Docker with continuous integration workflow, and then how to build application services and platforms. Finally, we'll show you how to use Docker's API and how to extend Docker yourself.

We'll teach you how to:

* Install Docker.
* Take your first steps with a Docker container.
* Build Docker images.
* Manage and share Docker images.
* Run and manage more complex Docker containers.
* Deploy Docker containers as part of your testing pipeline.
* Build multi-container applications and environments.
* Learn about orchestration. Use Compose and Swarm for the orchestration of Docker containers and Consul for service discovery.
* Explore the Docker API.
* Getting Help and Extending Docker. 

I have even less of a reason for buying this one, all I can say is the cover was colorful and I was asked at work one time what I knew about containers to which I answered "Boxes, cans?  What are we talking here?"  Teach those fools to try and ask me a useful question.  I still wonder is DevOps really a thing or is it just something a bunch of guys dreamed up as a joke, like C++, Scrum, or The Demming Management Model?

I haven't decided if I am making the weekly pilgrimage to Powell's or If I am going to see Star Wars yet.  I am leaning towards Star Wars but it's Sunday and Sunday is the day I go to Powell's.


No comments: