Sunday, January 11, 2015

Updated the reading list in the sidebar plus My Crappy Book Thread

Just a quick post to let you guys know because I know you live and die by my (not so) intellectual adventures.

Currently reading -

Business Adventures - Bill Gate and Warren Buffett both recommend it as the best business book they have ever read.  Since I rarely read business books, the last one was "Car Guys vs. Bean Counters", I figured I would give it a try.

The 9/11 Commission Report - After the Charlie Hebdo massacre I figured that maybe this was a good time to remind myself what happened to get the world to where we are.

The End of Power - Mark Zuckerberg started a book group called "A Year of Books"  normally I might or might not be interested, but so many people were bitching about a) His book choice - supposedly it is inaccessible to the normal reader (deals with stuff they can't relate to) and b) the time schedule (2 weeks per book) that the contrarian side of me just said screw it and ordered the book.

Just Finished -

No Place to Hide - I talked about this book a bit in two previous posts (here and here )

My basic impression of both Greenwald and the book haven't changed.  He does get into policy and legal considerations after the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the book (I guess it kind of depends on the edition and the printing) and I will admit that in a couple places he has good points but basically Greenwald doesn't have a solid enough understanding of the technology to really bring things together.  After that though the last 1/4 of the book is back to being all about him.  It was just a drag to read.

On Deck -

Capital in the 21st Century - Yes it's discredited (or at least discredited in the political crowds I frequent) but it is also one of those "important" books that will be driving debate for a long time.  This will probably be on of those long term keep it by the toilet and knock out a few pages every morning books. (Besides I want to see if I can be the first person to get beyond page 25)

Suggestions -

I am open to suggestions.  If you have them throw them in a comment somewhere. (Other than physically impossible / improbable sexual acts involving only myself or a duck?)

I am going to try and do a better job of keeping the sidebar up to date in the future but I am not making any promises.

No comments: