Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Kate Upton–Superhero and Other Stuff 3/20/13

Fox News - Geeky high schooler asks Kate Upton to prom on YouTube; she says maybe

In general I am a little sick of the ask a celebrity to event x on youtube trend, mainly because it never worked for me and therefore all should suffer, but I did like the way Kate Upton handled this request. 

The video has already been viewed by over 100,000 people, including Upton, who retweeted it to her followers and also responded via Twitter:

“You can call me Katie if you want! How could I turn down that video! I'll check my schedule ;)”

I don’t know if she’ll go (If she does I will hate the lucky jerk forever) but the way she handled it plus the fact that she actually watched the video is cool.

(Yes I know superhero is hyperbolic but I need traffic damn it, especially since I have been busy burning bridges in the real world)

NYTAmerican CO2 Emissions Fall 13% since 2007

There are three ways to look at this:

1.  Yay America, this shows how market incentives can drive positive change

2.  Oh My God, This shows exactly why treaties like Kyoto are so ill-advised.  Obviously the reduction in emissions is linked to a reduction in economic activty, and shows how fragile our economy can be.

3.  Who cares – collectively Americans are still histories greatest monsters.

The New York Times basically goes with number 2, as do , but they try to portray it as a good thing while I think it shows that we really are not in an Economic recovery.  (And in response to 3 I offer:

 

SlashdotSouth Korea under cyber attack

TechmemeCisco switches (Hah a pun) to new secret password hashing formula.  Ciscoo devices now inherently unsecure.

Password cracking experts have reversed a secret cryptographic formula recently added to Cisco devices. Ironically, the encryption type 4 algorithm leaves users considerably more susceptible to password cracking than an older alternative, even though the new routine was intended to enhance protections already in place.

Hooray!

No comments: