Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Why American News Sucks

Alisa Miller, CEO of Public Radio International, talks about why American news coverage sucks.

She hits on one of the major points that I have tried to make quite a few times - That news is presented superficially and with out context on American networks.



I don't agree with the editorial bias but I have to say for straight news with some depth and bite the BBC World Service is the winner hands down.

I despise Pinch Sulzberger but this is an actually area where the NY Times could make an impact. They already have the journalistic resources spread across the world, how hard could it be to leverage that into a 24 news service? Don't tell anyone until the Times eventually changes ownership.

I dream of the day that a news network will actually offer news instead of retards like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. I'd love it if Fox would adopt a 6 hour focus on news, repeated / updated 3 times a day with an hour for each of the 6 major continents, then a 2 hour business block and 2 hours of commentary with a 2 hour morning show, but hey that's me.

h/t Uneasy Silence

No comments: