Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Iraq attacks lower but steady

via the NY Times

BAGHDAD — Newly declassified statistics on the frequency of insurgent attacks in Iraq suggest that after major security gains last fall in the wake of an American troop increase, the conflict has drifted into at least a temporary stalemate, with violence levels remaining stubbornly constant from November 2007 through early 2008.

...

In prepared remarks for his testimony, delivered before the Senate Appropriations Committee, Mr. Walker acknowledged that the average number of daily insurgent attacks tallied by the American military has decreased from about 180 in June 2007 to 60 in the latest available count, for January. But that lower number, roughly equivalent to the levels of violence in the spring of 2005, remained essentially unchanged since the last significant decrease between October and November.


I don't think this is a huge surprise to anyone. What is kind of worrying to me is that it seems since we have started to let troop levels fall again that attacks are creeping up slightly. I would prefer it if the US would maintain a more robust presence until the attacks are reduce by at least another half (and I admit that I pulled that number out of my ass).

I believe General Petraeus is due to testify before congress again so I wonder where on his roadmap he will place us.



,

No comments: