Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Great Books by David Denby

I mentioned that I was finishing up "Great Books" by David Denby and I did.

Overall it was ok but the cover blurb makes it look more interesting that it actually is. In short Denby, a Columbia undergrad in the early 60's returns to Columbia in the 90's to revisit the Contemporary Civilizations and Literature and Humanities courses which make up a part of the core curriculum. During the course of the year Denby rediscovers his love of movies (he's a movie critic so I would hope he loves them) and literature and watches his late teen early twenties classmates "learn how to think".

That part was ok and even very interesting at times; like when two students almost come to blows over "Heart of Darkness", and when he discusses the philosophy of helplessness and fear in the "Take Back The Night" movement.

Other areas where Denby veers into politics I don't agree with so much. He is about as liberal as they come, at least in this book which was originally published in 1996.

One other useful thing I found in this book was this quote by John Mill in "On Liberty" :

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good and no one may have been able to refute them. But, if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are , he has no grounds for preferring either opinion. The rational position for him would be suspension of judgment, and unless he contents himself with that, he is either led by authority or adopts, like the generality of the world, the side to which he feels most inclination. Nor is it enough that he should the arguments of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. That is not the way to do justice to the arguments or bring them into real contact with his own mind. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them, who defend them in earnest and do their very utmost for them. He must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form; he must feel the whole force of the difficulty which the true view of the subject hos to encounter and dispose of, else he will never really possess himself of the portion of truth which meets and removes that difficulty. Ninety-nine in a hundred of what are called educated men are in this condition, even of those who can argue fluently for their opinions.

(pg. 354)


Last year I posted about why I am working my way through this reading list - At that time I said it was mainly because it was a challenge to myself, and in main it is. I also told someone recently that part of it was because I find these lists and I get mad that I haven't read these books. That is part of it too. But so is the opinion that John Mill expressed in the quote above. In order to think for yourself you have to be willing to be challenged by ideas. Of the three that is probably the best reason but honestly it only occurs to me as a philosophy occasionally. Usually I am much more about the other two.

At the same time I posted about women I was waiting on marriage proposals from (Pamela Anderson, Katherine Bell, Traci Lords, Juliet Huddy, Angie Harmon, Elizabeth Rohm, Jill Hennessy, Grace Park, Charlize Theron, Sabine Ehrenfeld). I haven't heard from any of them but I am still available if any of them should happen to read this.

BTW after burning out on Isaiah I am back to working on the list again. Expect to see some progress over the next couple weeks.

, ,

No comments: