Sunday, December 16, 2018

Been awhile since I posted

Don't feel ignored I haven't been posting much on twitter or facebook either and I deleted my google+ account.  I think those are all the accounts I have so...

Anyway, today's post - I was looking at the defcon page and they have announced the theme for defcon 27 - "Technology's Promise" and they have posted a bunch of suggested source material 

To get you in the proper mindset, here's some media to sample:
Star Trek TOS - because the series is based on a future Earth that has learned to manage itself, make working alliances with neighbors and turn its attention to the disciplined exploration of the broader universe. Also LCARS is still cool.
Asimov's Robot series - a future where humankind has built AI android tech that supports rather than supplants humanity, and (usually) behaves itself admirably.
BioShock - a genuinely thought-provoking game about the promises and limits of tech-based utopia.
Kraftwerk, Com Truise, Tangerine Dream - the beautiful sounds of our neon future, rendered in the gorgeously synthesized tones that can only come from the fruitful marriage of human and machine.

so let's ignore the fact that LCARS is from Next Generation (Barf!) and just consider the sources.  I have read or seen all of these and listened to Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk.  I am not sure these are the best choices.  I would chose something like Charles Sheffield's Jupiter Series or Jerry Pournelle's  Exiles to Glory.  Although these series start in somewhat dystopian states technology allows people to thrive and succeed.

Oh Tangerine Dream is a good choice though:


No comments: