Tuesday, November 28, 2017

God, I suck at this blogging thing... (but let's talk about Artemis and the S4 conference anyway)

I used to be so good at updating content, now it seems I never have anything to say.  Of course a lot of people may find that to be a plus, but that's beside the point, I have a perfectly good platform for running my online mouth and I never use it. 

OK, enough self-flagellation.

First topic of conversation today - Artemis by Andy Weir

Artemis is the second novel by Andy Weir, author of The Martian, and shares a lot of the same virtues; a self-reliant hero who wisecracks their way thru crisis after crisis, a subtle anti-authoritarian- pro-libertarian take on government and bureaucracy, and (what seems to me anyway) so pretty sound science and engineering principles behind the story.

All that works for me mostly, but the story falls just a little flat.

First, we've seen it before, in The Martian, and frankly the character was more likable and more believable.  Not that Jas (the heroine) is actually unlikable she just doesn't feel as right as Mark Whatley.  Maybe because she spends a good portion of the novel actively trying to alienate people.  Until she needs them that is and then she smiles and all is forgiven.  It limits her appeal.

Second, the story is set in two small an ecosystem.  I can't go into a lot of detail, but we are talking about an enclosed city of 2000 people and all these shenanigans are taking place, and everyone is basically clueless.  Some of this is intentional but still - there is no way this woman should be getting away with half the crap she does.  I kept thinking that and it distracted me from the story quite a bit.

Finally, why did this story even take place?  And I don't mean why did Weir write the book?  I mean why is the story there to be told?  Why does Artemis (the city name) exist.  Kenya Space Corporation (KSC) built a colony on the moon, but why?  It doesn't seem to serve any purpose.  It just didn't make sense to me.

Despite those misgivings and the fact that the main character is a super-genius who does calculus in her head and teaches herself advanced materials chemistry over breakfast, I actually did like the story.  Jas, despite the flaws I noted above, is mostly likable, and the humor is pretty much my speed.  Smart-assed and mostly self-deprecating.  If you can ignore the flaws I noted, the story mostly holds together, and the style is easy to read.  All in all I liked the book, warts and all.  It was a pretty good second effort. 

Next, let's talk about the S4 conference.

How the hell have I never heard of this conference before?  It relates to an area I work in, it's put on by some big names, and it's on the beach in Miami.  All things that should have attracted me.

Oh wait I am an anti-social buttwipe, that's why.  Well that cost me in this case.

Seriously I have only recently started attending conferences / training again after a many year layoff because of lack of funds / contractor status and a general lack of interest.  I wish I had started sooner because this sounds like it is a well put together deal:

Good Speakers
Clear Vision - (something a lot of conferences lack)
Good CTF (or at least it looks that way to me)

and of course the beach

I'd love to go.  Question is can I afford it, and is it a better opportunity than South by Southwest neither one is going to do much for me career wise.  In the case of SXSW I have nothing in common with any of the participants I would be going solely for the experience.  In the case of S4 I have some stuff in common with the people putting it on and presenting, but I am so far down the food chain in that world I would just be attending out of interest (and for the beach of course).

Dilemma, Dilemma.

Oh well, here is some music to help you help me decide






No comments: