Monday, July 03, 2017

What I'm Reading 7/3/2017

Yeah I'm a flake and skipped the weekend immediately after starting this up again.  Well I had a reason - my parents had their 50th anniversary in June and my oldest niece graduated, so we had a family get together.  It was a pretty good time, aside from fact that we had to go get our pictures taken (blech) but it didn't leave any space for blogging.

Now on to today's recommended reading -

Wired - The 11 Best Comedies You Can Stream Right Now, From Caddyshack to Bridesmaids -

I have seen all 11, I don't tink I would have included Borat or Stepbrothers, but the other 9 are solid choices.

Carnifex - Backing up the server -
So with all the problems I have had with my server lately, I am finely following the timely advice every tech gives, “Back up you data, then test your backups, then backup again.”. I moved my website to a virtual machine for two reasons, first to make it easier to backup and second if I had hardware problems, I could move the virtual machine to new hardware. Well that did not really work out for me.
I'm throwing this up here because Chris's problem is occurring at an opportune time.  One of the reasons that things like WannaCry and Petya/NotPetya are so scary is because along the way people have stopped backing up their data (using people in the most generic sense and basing this on a totally unscientific poll of only my observations of a couple cases).  When I started in the tech world, oh so many years ago, it was an article of faith that you backed up daily and you tested your backups.  In the past I saw admins get fired for not having good backups. With the advent of virtual machines, SANs, and cloud computing, that just doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  It should be.  In the personal space it's easy, do what Chris is doing and schedule a task or sign up for a Carbonite account.  I admit it's harder in the data center realm, but that is what you get paid the big bucks for and it's your company's life blood we are talking about.  Use some sense and do it.

Heavy.com - Jade Logue Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know-

The daughter of Gotham actor Donal Logue remains missing. Jade Logue was last seen Monday, June 26, in New York City, according to the actor and police.

According to the post, the 16-year-old was last seen about 2 p.m. in the Barclays Center/Fort Greene area of Brooklyn.

Logue posted on Twitter asking for help finding her and made an additional post on Sunday, July 2, pleading for his daughter to come home.

“Jade. we miss you and love you. please come home. If you can see this, just know I love and miss you dearly,” he wrote.
16 years old, transgendered and missing are not a good combination.  Here's hoping for a happy reunion.

Endgadget - bHaptics' TactSuit is VR haptic feedback done right - 

At HTC Vive X demo day in Shanghai, I got some hands-on time with this Korean startup's TactSuit, a wireless kit consisting of a haptic mask (which is a rarity), two haptic sleeves and a haptic vest. The fascinating part here is that it comes with a total of 87 feedback points, which is a lot more generous than what the other suits offer. 

I'm ready for this dammit.

 

No comments: