Wednesday, August 10, 2016

No, I am not going to talk about Trump and his 2nd Amendment Comment - What I am reading 8/10/2016

You should know my feelings on Trump and his imply something outrageous, get the critics stirred up and make people defend him then back away routine by now.  If you are still falling for it and defending his stupid ass then you are a f**king retard in the the most literal sense of the word.  

Ars Technica - The connected renter: How to make your apartment smarter -  Nothing super exciting here, but if you are into the entire smart house thing maybe you will find it useful.

Dark Reading - Building A Detection Strategy With The Right Metrics -

A Ponemon Institute study of 630 enterprises showed that the average number of alerts a security team receives per week from their security tools — firewalls, intrusion-detection systems, intrusion-prevention systems, sandboxing systems, security information and event management (SIEM) systems, etc. — was a shocking 172 per 1,000 hosts per day (2,420 alerts for an average 14,000 endpoints in a network). Where does one start with that volume of alerts, particularly given that the large majority of these are false-positives? The same study shows that, on average, two-thirds of the security staff’s time is wasted because their tools are grossly inefficient, so only 4% of alerts are typically investigated, leaving the possibility that somewhere around 96% of those untouched may be something important.
So what I read there is "the tools are shit".  I tend to agree, but much like the military are driving a car in Montana you make do with duct tape and prayers. 

mewo2.com - Generating fantasy maps - for my RPG playing friends.  the map looks good at least.

Hacker News - How You Computer Monitor Could Be Hacked To Spy On You -






Post a Comment

New Ready Player One Trailer

This dropped while I was out of town - From what I have read Ernest Cline seems to like the adaptation, but to me it seems to completely ...