Tuesday, July 12, 2016

In general I despise Ruth Bader Ginsberg's Politics and Jurisprudence, but I kind of respect her a little bit now for speaking out against Trump

I agree with Slate, she did put her legacy and her reputation on the line to take a stand, and I see why she did it - Trump is an existential threat to American democracy.  He is the actual threat that Democrats tried to make George W. Bush out to be and Republicans have accused Barack Obama of being.

He is the embodiment of the "strongman" from Hayek's Road to Serfdom!

So yeah, I respect what she did a little bit.  My problem is that she did it and she risks nothing to do it.  She gets to sit there and make her statements and she is safe, I don't mean in a physical sense, but in the sense that she suffers no repercussions.  On the other hand the court is now damaged because it has overtly entered the political fray and while the court has been politicized it has never been overtly political.  If she feels this strongly she should have resigned first.

To be honest this is the same I have with General's and Admiral's who leave the service and become political.  Almost all of them do so under the guise of how they were always opposed to one Commander-in-Chiefs policy or another.  Amazingly the never speak out until there is no risk to them.  Even if they serve 6 or 8 years under that policy enforce it, propagate it and so on.  If they truly had any conviction beyond self interest they would resign at the time and let it be known why. That's why I almost never consider voting for anyone above O-6 who is running for office.

The founder's pledged "Their Lives, Their Fortunes, Their Sacred Honor"  maybe it's time we start remembering that.  I don't really have a lot to lose except some twitter followers, maybe by some remote stretch of the imagination I could lose my job because Trump loses and the Tech Industry gets their wish for unlimited H1-Bs, but I am willing to risk both.

No comments: