Tuesday, September 22, 2015

So what's going on? Other than Exxon confirming anthropogenic global warming that is?

Blogging has been relatively light lately, and there is a good reason for that.  First off, since I mainly gave up the political blogging days go by where absolutely nothing catches my eye.  This has been one of those weeks (although I do have some stuff later in the post).  Second, I went to the Dr. and my blood pressure and weight are nowhere near where I want them to be. I don't want to overstate this because it's not like it's a life threatening emergency or anything like that,they were just higher than I would like.  As I was sitting there considering that fact I realized I am spending way to much time in front of the computer and not enough time out and about.

I need to change that.

To that end I bought a fitbit last night to help me keep track of what I am doing, activity wise.  I am also going to make a conscious effort to eat a little healthier and to push away from the computer screen a little more often.   So the posts may be a little less frequent and maybe a little shorter.

Finally, I have reached a point where I want to start reading for pleasure again so I intend to be spending a lot more time book / kindle in hand and a lot less time on the tech sites.

Anyway that is where things sit in Chad world.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Climate News - Exxon: The Road Not TakenExxon's Own Research Confirmed Fossil Fuels' Role in Global Warming Decades Ago -

There aren't any really good excerptable parts of this article, basically the gist is that Exxon conducted research that confirmed the existence of AGW in the 70's and 80's then because of business concerns set about burying the results and attempting to discredit the theory. 

Take it for what it's worth.

Here is a link to the documents mentioned in the article (If you read it)

Gizmodo - Six Easy Ways to Tell If That Viral Story Is a Hoax -

1.  Reverse Image Search - Not only is a reverse image search one of the simplest verification tools, it’s also the one that showed the “leaked” ISIS refugee photo was a fake.

2.  ...

3.  Jeffrey's Exif Viewer - Photos, videos and audio taken with digital cameras and smartphones contain Exchangeable Image File (EXIF) information: this is vital metadata about the make of the camera used, and the date, time and location the media was created.

4.  ...

5.  ...

6.  Online Maps - Identifying the location of a suspicious photo or video is a crucial part of the verification process. Google Street View, Google Earth (a source of historical satellite images) and Wikimapia (a crowd-sourced version of Google Maps, featuring additional information) are all excellent tools for undertaking this kind of detective work.

Ars Technica - DHS infosec chief: We should pull clearance of feds who fail phish test: Repeat offenders "should not be holding a TS SCI with the federal government."
at least one federal chief information security officer thinks that these steps aren't enough and that repeatedly falling for phishing attempts—fake or real—should have more dire consequences than a slap on the wrist. According to a report from DefenseOne, Department of Homeland Security CISO Paul Beckman said during a panel discussion at a cybersecurity event in Washington last week that he believes it's time to ban those who flunk Phishing 101 from having access to sensitive government data by revoking their clearances.
I have to say I don't really have a problem with this.

No comments: