Saturday, September 05, 2015

Compare and Contrast

Mrs. Potter's Lullaby - Counting Crows (look for @MeredithSalenger just for fun)




Sunday Morning Coming Down - Johnny Cash





OK, I am an idiot as everyone knows so my opinion probably has no validity here whatsoever, but despite the lyrical, musical and stylistic difference these two songs evoke very similar emotional responses in me.  Both make me think of an alienated man longing to reconnect with himself and those around him and not knowing how to do so.  He made choices in his life that he now deeply regrets but he also has no way to overcome those decisions and their consequences so he has to live with them and dream of some form of redemption.

Hey, it's a theory - even if it's not a very good one so I am at least awarding myself a participation trophy.

BTW take a good listen to Mrs. Potter's Lullaby and imagine Johnny Cash singing it.  That would have been awesome.  I am always amazed at exactly how talented Cash was.  I can't think of a song that he performed on a regular basis that he didn't mark as his own.  Just listen to the Kris Kristoferson and Willie Nelson versions of Sunday Morning Coming Down and you will see what I mean.


No comments: