Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Irony thy name is... I don't know Oberlin in this case

but this stuff is becoming more and more common:

Christina Hoff Summers gave a speech at Oberlin college.  It was apparently not well received. OK, I can understand that, she is espousing ideas that go against the dominant culture on that particular campus (and to be honest, while I haven't read her books I have read a number of her articles and find them a little to simplistic.  Not simple but simplistic) and so there is going to be some backlash.
What I continue to find baffling is stuff like this:


And not just in regards to CHS.  Protests and the threat of violence now seems to be the default reaction to any foreign idea on campus.  Whatever happened the idea of listening and then challenging?

No comments: