Friday, March 27, 2015

Quick Update and two partial book reviews

A lot of stuff has been going on, so I have been neglecting the blog again.  None of it is major or life changing in anyway just a vast quantity of small things that have been consuming time. I have been working my way thru my reading list, currently I am working on @War: The Rise of the Military Internet Complex and Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy: The Many Faces of Anonymous.

@War - I am about 2/3 of the way through and it has been pretty interesting so far.  Offers up some rationales for the NSA Domestic Collection Programs that make sense without being overly apologetic.  Also explores some of the history behind other similar programs.  The author really doesn't like Stuxnet though and has kind of entered a moralizing phase discussing it.  So far I would say the book is worth the read.

Hacker, Hoaxer...  - This has been a hard one to get into.  I have started it a couple times and can only make it a couple pages each time.  The author is a sociologist or anthropologist  or something like that.  She obviously wants to do the "Gorillas in the Mist" thing and walk among and be accepted by Anonymous and so only about 20 pages or so in her sympathy for them is glaringly obvious and a little off-putting.  The reviews are good and I am interested in the subject so I will keep trying.  (BTW way to expensive for a Kindle book.  Check it out from the library if you can.  I think I got it on sale or as a present because I never would have paid $14.55 for it)

Anyway there ya go a quick update.

No comments: