Saturday, October 25, 2014

Some thoughts on Ello

You may or may not have heard of Ello, it is a new social network (or as it was calling itself the anti-social network).  Founded by some Facebook alums it was supposed to address some of facebooks more annoying aspects such as ads, paid feed placement, lack of privacy, etc.  I liked those ideas so I requested an invite and joined.

I apparently joined at the wrong time - for two reasons, first I got real busy at work and haven't had much time for posting anything, and second the place appears dead.  I think there are probably over a million members but you wouldn't know it because no one posts.  I am looking at the general "noise"feed and no updates for 24 days.  I admit I am partially to blame, I have made one post and followed three people.  In my defense, not only was I busy but it turns out that I have nothing in common with anyone on the site.

 I searched and searched using all sorts of search terms for people I had something in common with and nothing.

I invited a few people but they are apparently all smarter than me because they didn't join (in desperation. I even sent offers of invites to random twitter and G+ followers (OK Jeri Ryan ( @JeriLRyan +Jeri Ryan ) and Felicia Day ( +Felicia Day ) weren't random, they both have massive followings on twitter and G+ so I figured maybe they could liven the place up (more bad timing on my part as Felicia Day was doxxed soon after and probably isn't too thrilled to be receiving random messages))  Anyway no luck getting anyone else to join, which sucks because everyone on the site is either a novelist (barista), musician (barista with attitude) or actor (waiter / waitress) (joking about the barista / waiter - waitress stuff I couldn't resist) in other words creative types and my experience has been that in general they prefer not to hang out with the knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, illiterate types like me.  I am a square peg in a round hole there.  There is a plus side however;  I am willing to expend my remaining invites on the first 5 of my twitter followers, G+ followers or members of my facebook groups who ask for one.  Then you can send out invites to your friends and we may be able to liven the place up and stage a mini-coup. ( +Jeri Ryan +Felicia Day you can still get in on the revolution.)
Vive le Mort, Vive La Guerre, Vive le Sacre Mercenaire!  (oops wrong toast never mind)


No comments: