Monday, November 29, 2010

The latest Wikileaks document dump

Bradley Manning and Julian Assange continue their two person campaign to destroy US foreign policy with the release of 251,000 documents from the State Department’s SPIRNET. 

Obviously I haven’t read all of the documents, and frankly I don’t know if I will try, but the snippets I have seen so far don’t really reveal anything new.  In fact the most interesting thing I have seen so far is this comment by the editor of Foreign Policy magazine:

Wikileaks says data dump "reveals the contradictions between the US’s public persona and what it says behind closed doors"

Actually, to me it reveals that the U.S. is remarkably consistent in what it says publicly and privately

He goes on to say that regardless these leaks will be damaging and I have to agree.  If for no other reason than people never really want to know what someone truly thinks of them deep down inside.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple weeks.  the press is already slobbering about how President Obama’s massive popularity is helping to mitigate the damage, but my understanding is a good number of the leaked documents were written on his watch.  If that’s the case what happens then?

No comments: