Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Helmund Awakening?

I have said a number of times both here and on other blogs that the success of the Iraq surge can be replicated in Afghanistan. Usually I am shouted down, but last night I was discussing the issue with my sister-in-laws brother, who has served a number of tours there most recently commanding 100 Afghans as a CTT trainer, and he and I are in agreement. Afghanistan is winnable but one of the things that needs to happen is an Anbar style awakening. Imagine my surprise when I saw this article this morning:

Anti-Taliban militias arise in Afghanistan

U.S. and Afghan officials have begun helping a number of anti-Taliban militias that have independently taken up arms against insurgents in several parts of Afghanistan, prompting hopes of a large-scale tribal rebellion against the Taliban.


Obviously it is too early to declare this a success and say victory is imminent but it is a hopeful sign and if the additional troops Gen. McChrystal has requested are added to the mix I think we may get back on track.

No comments: