Hot Air - Hilary Travels to Exotic Foreign Lands Such As Texas and Utterly Fails To Accomplish Anything - In a list that intended to brag about how much Hillary Clinton had traveled as the new Secretary of State to foreign countries, Foggy Bottom included a trip to Texas: (...) Let’s also recall the “significant progress” State has made in the above areas:
- Afghanistan - Completely failed to get more combat troops from NATO.
- Pakistan - Say, isn’t that the Taliban just outside the capital in Islamabad?
- Middle East - Netanyahu won’t budge until Obama does something about Iran … which conveniently got left off the list.
- Russia - Gave a mistranslated reset button to Sergei Lavrov, who then told Hillary and Obama that they wouldn’t lift a finger to stop Iran from going nuclear. Oh, and the US retreated from missile defense in Europe. Smart power.
- North Korea — North Korea? The country that just defied Obama, launched a long-range missile, and kicked out all the UN inspectors and declared a restart on all nuclear programs? That North Korea? It that’s “significant progress,” then I hate to see what a setback looks like.
- Engaging in public diplomacy - Yes, like telling the Europeans that she doesn’t understand multiparty democracy, that our system is better, and Europeans didn’t have democracy before the US. Oh, and let’s not forget getting the names of her EU counterparts wrong. Thank goodness all that happened in public!
- “Other core issues” — Well, they did get an iPod to the Queen, and bowed to Saudi Arabia’s King Abdullah.
Well At least we haven't surrendered to space aliens yet
Slashdot - Old School Coding Techniques You May Not Miss - I am not a programmer but I have been involved with it enough that I have encountered almost all of these. She's right I don't miss them
D=S - Marriage Between 8 year Old Saudi Girl and 50 year old Saudi Man Annulled -
Garnering Right Ideas - Another Obama Fact Check - "Obama’s defended his banning of harsh interrogation techniques against terrorists by stating: “I was struck by an article that I was reading the other day talking about the fact that the British during World War II, when London was being bombed to smithereens, had 200 or so detainees. And Churchill said, ‘We don’t torture,’ when the entire British – all of the British people were being subjected to unimaginable risk and threat.”
Fact Check: Churchill and the Brits held detainees indefinitely, without benefit of legal rights. In addition, a better understanding of history would have provided the President or his staff with knowledge of the SECRET PRISON known as the London Cage. Many high value prisoners were taken to “The Cage,” The Guardian has reported that prisoners in the Cage were forced to kneel while being beaten about the head; forced to stand to attention for up to 26 hours; threatened with execution; or threatened with ‘an unnecessary operation.” Mr. President you should get your facts straight before making statements.
Becky - Double Jeopardy and the Matthew Shepard Act - One of the more offensive judicial interpretations of the Constitution is the concept of dual sovereignty —a judicially created loophole to the constitutional prohibition against double jeopardy. Have to say I agree
Locusts and Honey - Greatest Novel of All Times - Move over Madame Bovary and Anna Karenina it's Shatnerquake.
The Other McCain - Shanna Moakler: Naked Liar This ties in to the Carrie Prejean controversy, and in one update RSM says " not to fuel anyone's paranoia, but I'm getting anonymous tips that Carrie Prejean might actually be a Trojan Horse for the gay-rights movement. Prejean is friends with pageant director Keith Lewis, who was executive producer for a pro-gay documentary, "For The Bible Tells Me So."
According to my tipster's theory -- and this is just speculation -- the whole Perez Hilton question for Prejean was a setup, a stunt conceived to catapult Prejean to celebrity as a national spokewoman against same-sex marriage. Then, a few months later, she'll have a "Road To Damascus" conversion, claiming to have "seen the light" about how hateful those conservative homophobes are, and why same-sex marriage should be the law of the land." I like conspiracy theories as much as the next guy but that's a bit much even for me.
BBC - Italy's prime minister and his wife have clashed publicly after reports his party planned to field attractive young women as European election candidates. - Damn that was my plan for a GOP victory in 2010. I think we could lure Mimi Miyagi back into the fold.
Yahoo - Gov't going after companies hiring illegal workers - "WASHINGTON – An Obama administration policy to go after employers who knowingly hire and exploit illegal workers is not significantly different from the Bush administration strategy, according to a copy of the guidelines obtained by The Associated Press." So once again Obama's promised change is merely putting his name on the title sheet. It would almost make you think that maybe the Bush administration actually had an idea what they were doing and were victimized by a hostile media, but that would just be crazy talk."