Monday, October 06, 2008

A new level in pain

Yesterday I was in kind of a bad mood and I sent an somewhat nasty email to Glenn Reynolds at Instapundit challenging him on the way he has been describing the tax extenders contained in the financial bailout / rescue plan. (I apologized for the tone in a follow on email and do so again if he should happen to read this)

Surprisingly instead of simply ignoring me he actually replied but challenged my assertion that he was wrong, so I have spent a few hours going thru THOMAS trying to track down the origin of the tax breaks. Let me tell you you haven't really experienced internet pain until you have started down that path.

Anyway for the record the financial bailout plan was attached to HR 1424 which was a bill for mental health parity insurance reform as an amendment. The original bill remains as subpart b. The tax break extenders came from HR 6049 which appears to have been attached in whole. HR 6049 had previously passed the House and Senate and I think it was attached to avoid a conference committee as well as to make the bill more attractive.

Oh, and I need to credit Ace for pointing out that the tax break extenders had previously passed the Senate.

No comments: