Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lieberman burning all bridges with the Dems?

Time Magazine quotes Joe Lieberman on the current state of the Democratic Party:

Well, I say that the Democratic Party changed. The Democratic Party today was not the party it was in 2000. It's not the Bill Clinton-Al Gore party, which was strong internationalists, strong on defense, pro-trade, pro-reform in our domestic government. It's been effectively taken over by a small group on the left of the party that is protectionist, isolationist and basically will --and very, very hyperpartisan. So it pains me. I'm a Democrat who came to the party in the era of President John F. Kennedy. It's a strange turn of the road when I find among the candidates running this year that the one, in my opinion, closest to the Kennedy legacy, the John F. Kennedy legacy, is John S. McCain.


This is the former VP nominee speaking about the party he served for his entire political life, until they rejected him anyway. I can't see how this could be more damaging for Hillary Clinton, given that he specifically calls out her husband's presidency as the high point for the Dems in the second half of the 20th century.

Now all we have to do is get him caucusing on the R side of the aisle.

Actually I wonder if this might be a hint at a VP run. While I disagree with Lieberman on a lot of issues domestically he also strikes me as the type of guy that can be reasoned with. I am a big believer in incrementalism in politics. Too much change too fast is often counterproductive. So I think a McCain / Lieberman ticket while not perfect could work. Others I am sure would strongly disagree.

No comments: