Sunday, September 17, 2006

Another pointless story from my past

I watched "Amazon Women on the Moon" this morning and was reminded of an incident in Antarctica

While I was stationed at Branch Medical Clinic McMurdo I was responsible for communicable disease control and had to occasionally give classes to the other Hospital Corpsmen.  One of the classes was on STD control and I got up and gave my little speil the said that I had found a training film but it was outdated.  What I ran was the last 5 minutes of "Amazon Women on the Moon", which was a spoof film called "Reckless Youth". 

Based on films like "Reefer Madness" "Reckless Youth" tells the story of Mary Brown and how she became "unclean".  It also shows the effect of her hidden disease on her husband who goes blind suddenly and maims/kills a co-worker with welding torch. 

Now, I though seeing Carrie Fisher, as Mary Brown would give away the joke, and I definitely thought the dialogue would.  But the other Corpsmen (except Norm Creel the HMCM of the clinic) sat there taking it seriously.  Even after she looked into the microscope and the germs were cartoon mice running out of a hole, they were taking it seriously.  EVEN after the went to the specialized clinic where one of the advanced cases was a Werewolf they were taking it seriously.  I could see the Master Chief about to bust a gut and a buddy of mine Tim Bryant had caught on by now, but no one else.

Finally the film ended (about 7 minutes or so) and I asked if there were any questions.  One of the HM1 0000 (an E-6 with no further specialized training) said, "Was that a real film?"  I couldn't help it I just busted up. 

Just goes to show even professionals can be idiots.  It also shows why I was never destined for greatness in the Navy.

tags: , , , ,

No comments: