Thursday, August 24, 2006

What does JK Rowling do with her money? Blow it all on hookers and beer?

No such luck according to the Daily Telegraph.

Aside from a few vacations, some clothing and the occasional human sacrifice she is pretty modest in her expenditures:

But as she told an interviewer recently: 'I've got a mental amount I can't spend beyond. I limit myself to what I think I would be justified in spending on frivolity.' The amount, it seems, is around £500.

For although her life is comfortable and she allows herself some 'treats', in truth Jo Rowling lives not much better than the wife of say, an averagely successful City banker. She does not have, a la Posh, a dozen diamond-encrusted watches - actually she barely ever wears one and the most expensive in her collection is a fairly simple £300 number from Gucci.

She also contributes to charity:

She has just set up a charity, the Children's High Level Group, to promote children's rights, particularly disabled children in care homes in Eastern Europe. She is the global ambassador for the National Council for One-Parent Families, and patron of Maggie's Centres for cancer sufferers and the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Scotland.

Her bounty extends to smaller matters, too: she has funded the making of a short film about domestic abuse, and recently donated a signed copy of Harry Potter that was sold to help improve facilities at a local GP's surgery.

This seems to be a growing pattern with the Ultra-Rich.  Give it all away.

I disapprove for two reasons:

1.  I am not getting any of it

2.  I like the super-rich flashy and trashy so I can make fun of them.

Oh and in case you haven't figured it out I made up the part about vacations human sacrifices.

tags: , , ,

No comments: