Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Oliver Cromwell and The American Revolution.

I have always been interested in history and quite often I read historical fiction, and occasionally alternative histories. Recently I have been reading "“The Baroque Cycle"” by Neal Stephenson, and I came across a line that really got me thinking about Oliver CromwellÂ’s influence on the American Revolution. I donÂ’t remember it word for word, but it was something on the order of, "“Cromwell showed us an ordinary man could defy and bring down a king.”"

While Cromwell was not exactly an ordinary man (ie peasant) I think the point was taken by the Revolutionaries in America. Especially given that they were of a similar social position and many of the population with influence upon them were of a similar religious persuasion.

I didn'’t really have much of a point with this other than it was something that had caught my eye.

No comments: