Sunday, March 26, 2006

Finally finished my Kafka collection

It took forever but I finally finished that collection of stories. It wasn't so much that he was a bad writer, but an incredibly dense one. I would read two paragraphs and be ready to fall asleep. At the same time the guy had something to say. I am guessing that in the early 1900's when he wrote this collection of stories he was probably not regarded as being particularly insightful, and frankly the majority of his stories I didn't find that illuminating, but Metamorphosis and Josephine the Mouse Singer seem to address the same subject, an individuals place in society. In the first the main character subliminates his needs so completely that he basically loses individuality and in the second the character values her individuality too much and loses her place through her own pride. Interesting contrast. Anyway I am glad it is over.

No comments: