Saturday, November 19, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I went and saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire today. I have to say at this point this is my least favorite of the movies. Although like everyone else who has read the books I found Hermione's SPEW campaign a bit tiresome it comes back in various forms in the next two books, since it has been completely excised from the movie it seems to me that it will cause problems in the future. In addition most of the backstory regarding Mad Eye Moody has been lost which although not as important would have tied some threads together. Rita Skeeter was never exposed as an unliscened animgus this is another thread that comes up again in the future. So was the backstory of Ron's jealousy and a couple other things. Although all these things seem minor I think they will detract from the ability to tie the story together in the next 3 movies. Ray Fiennes as Voldemort looked mean and nasty, and all the actors did a good job. A couple other things that bothered me, these are wizards right? Why can't they conjure up a toothbrush (look at the durmstrang head master you will see what I mean) or for that matter cant they enchant a bottle of mop and glow, Why do the Durmstrang students breakdance during their entry and why do the Beuxbaxton's girls walk like the precision briefcase drill team. This is a 2.5 beer movie (I will have to drink 2.5 beers to sit thru it again)

No comments: