Saturday, February 28, 2015

Interview questions for network engineers

A few months back I came across a site that listed the skills and courses that Google considers important on the road to becoming a software engineer - Google Careers Guide For Technical Development.  This morning I stumbled across it again as I was cleaning out my bookmarks (I really don't need to save that link to Chelsea Manning trying to justify her decision to dump a billion documents to Wikileaks) and thought I would do a quick search to see if anyone had put together anything similar for network engineers.

Alas no.  At least not that I found in my 30 seconds of furious googling, but I did find a site called Router-Freak which has a quite a few interesting articles, among them - Interview Questions for Network Engineers:

We get to the technical side now... here is our list of 20 Network Engineer Interview Questions:
  1. What is the subnet mask 10.2.1.3/22?
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. In EIGRP, what is a Stuck in Active route?
  5. ...
  6. Which internal routing protocol would use if you needed to route between Cisco and non-Cisco equipment?
  7. Explain what a 3-way handshake is in TCP?
  8. ...
  9. ...
  10. ...
  11. ...
  12. ...
  13. ...
  14. ...
  15. ...
  16. What is HSRP?  Is this an open standard?
  17. ...
  18. ...
  19. In IPSec VPNs, what is diffie hellman?  What is it used for?
  20. ...
(I didn't want to steal all their work so I commented most of the questions out.  They didn't do that to get you to pay or something.  It's all me)
It's no 7 of 9 Lectures on OSPF ( +Jeri Ryan  is eventually going to get tired of these references and sue us all, but you can work them into everything.) or Britney Spears Guide to Semiconductor Physics but I find the site sufficiently worthy to be included in my RSS feeds.

No comments: