Monday, February 25, 2013

Stuff 2/25/2013

Oh My God thinking up these titles is exhausting, why do I go on?

Oh wait I know the answer to that;  first off it's for you my loyal readership of zero, secondly it's an outgrowth of my narcissistic personality disorder which causes me to believe that I actually have something important to say.  In my semi-lucid moments I realize that but I just play along anyway.

OK on to the good stuff:

Impostor syndrome rears it's ugly head at Stanford.
Wait, pause a second. I was no impostor. What did that even mean?
When I went back to my previous LadyCoders post, I realized that Tarah had put my post under “Impostor Syndrome.” I ended up googling this strange term. According to Wikipedia, Impostor Syndrome is a “a psychological phenomenon in which people are unable to internalize their accomplishment.”
OK, successful people who feel like you are frauds let me tell you something - You are very annoying to us frauds who are trying to pass as successful people so knock it off.

A look at improved ease of programmability in FPGAs.  I can't honestly say how important this is in the giant tech scheme of things but it was slightly interesting.

Twitter Hackings Put Focus on Security for Brands - Basically the article says that it's (relatively) easy to hack the social media accounts of advertisers because the social media companies won't step up and put in the extra layers of security that commercial accounts require.

A New Cold War in Cyberspace -

...underscored the heightened sensitivities inside the Obama administration over just how directly to confront China’s untested new leadership over the hacking issue, as the administration escalates demands that China halt the state-sponsored attacks that Beijing insists it is not mounting.
The issue illustrates how different the worsening cyber-cold war between the world’s two largest economies is from the more familiar superpower conflicts of past decades — in some ways less dangerous, in others more complex and pernicious.
...
the prescriptions for what to do vary greatly — from calm negotiation to economic sanctions and talk of counterattacks led by the American military’s Cyber Command, the unit that was deeply involved in the American and Israeli cyberattacks on Iran’s nuclear enrichment plants.
So here's my plan:  Clone Jeffery Dahmer and using secret government technologies force him through a period of accelerated growth while feeding him a diet rich in Chinese food.  After he has reached prime people eating age rent him an apartment in Shanghai about a block from the building where the Chinese army is launching it's attacks from.  For good measure we can rent him a restaurant storefront also, the lunch specials would probably be right up Antony Bourdain's alley.  I've submitted this plan to the Joint Chiefs of Staff but I haven't heard back yet.  
The gun control debate heats up again as the NRA releases a leaked Department of Justice memo which basically backs their position:
The memo, under the name of one of the Justice Department's leading crime researchers, critiques the effectiveness of gun control proposals, including some of President Barack Obama's. A Justice Department official called the memo an unfinished review of gun violence research and said it does not represent administration policy.
The memo says requiring background checks for more gun purchases could help, but also could lead to more illicit weapons sales. It says banning assault weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines produced in the future but exempting those already owned by the public, as Obama has proposed, would have limited impact because people now own so many of those items.
It also says that even total elimination of assault weapons would have little overall effect on gun killings because assault weapons account for a limited proportion of those crimes.

and that winds up today's collection of stuff.





No comments: