Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Steampunk Sucks Redux

A few days ago I linked to my friends rant about the Steampunk genre. I disagreed with him about his general assessment of Steampunk and gave a few examples to counter his argument. "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Set in a future where the worst predictions about both global warming (yeah, yeah, yeah just go with it) and oil shortages have come true this book is the best piece of Science Fiction writing I have read in a long time. I say that in relation to the style, I haven't finished the story yet, and I may hate the way it ends, but as far as pure writing goes this guy has it nailed.

The only real discrepancy I have noted (other than the issue people will have with the idea of global warming forcing wholesale societal changes) is that the book is set in Thailand and I haven't come across any Thai Tr***y Ho***rs (don't want to trip the filters at work :-) but longtime AoS readers and viewers of Hangover II know what I am talking about) in the storyline yet. I don't know if I can suspend quite that much disbelief.

No comments: