Monday, August 06, 2007

Bloggers considering union - What a load of cr*p

I'm a blogger and a fairly prolific one compared to many others, I have over a thousand posts here, a couple of hundred at Independent Sources and another 50 or so at Olympia Academy. I have also left a few hundred comments at various other blogs.

Given all that you would think I would welcome a "bloggers union" that would help me get paid, medical insurance, etc. but I don't. The reason is in the very first paragraph of this Wired article.

In a move that might make some people scratch their heads, a loosely formed coalition of left-leaning bloggers are trying to band together to form a labor union they hope will help them receive health insurance, conduct collective bargaining or even set professional standards.


It's my opinion that whenever group starts talking about setting professional standards it is the small operators like me who lose out. That doesn't even take into account the fact that I think that the very idea reeks of overly self-important narcissism, but more on that at a later date. At least a couple others agree with me:

"The reason I like blogging is that it's very anarchistic. I can do whatever I want whenever I want, and oh my God, you're not going to tell me what to do," said Curt Hopkins, the founder of the Committee to Protect Bloggers.

"The blogosphere is such a weird term and such a weird idea. It's anyone who wants to do it," Hopkins said. "There's absolutely no commonality there. How will they find a commonality to go on? I think it's doomed to failure on any sort of large scale."


my point exactly.
Post a Comment

New Ready Player One Trailer

This dropped while I was out of town - From what I have read Ernest Cline seems to like the adaptation, but to me it seems to completely ...