Monday, July 10, 2006

Search of Congressman Office Legal Judge Rules



It is actually amazing to me that Congress is so arrogant that they felt like they didn't need to comply with a search warrant in a criminal case. Chief U.S. District Judge Thomas F. Hogan shot that down saying:

Jefferson's theory of legislative privilege "would have the effect of converting every congressional office into a taxpayer-subsidized sanctuary for crime,"

further he said:

"a Member of Congress is generally bound to the operation of the criminal laws as are ordinary persons."

Congress' effectiveness "is not threatened by permitting congressional offices to be searched pursuant to validly issued search warrants,"

He also reaffirmed the immunity legislators enjoy in the pursuit of their offical duties:

"Jefferson may never be questioned regarding his legitimate legislative activities, is immune from civil or criminal liability for those activities, and no privileged material may ever be used against him in court," the judge wrote

Jefferson's lawyers plan to appeal.

So far of the 12 or so blogs I follow I am the only who has picked up on this. Yay me.

Post a Comment

New Ready Player One Trailer

This dropped while I was out of town - From what I have read Ernest Cline seems to like the adaptation, but to me it seems to completely ...