Thursday, June 29, 2006

Hamdan v. Rumsfeld - Military Tribunals unconstitutional

The Supreme Court today ruled the military tribunals at Guantanamo Bay uncosntitutional. I hope the prisoners there are prepared for what may happen. Under the current system they are entitled to status hearings to determine if they are still a threat and can be safely released. Under this ruling as I understand it the Court has said they must be treated as POWs. That means no status hearings and no release until hostilities end sometime in the next millenium.

Update: I just read the preamble of the decision and I have to say I agree with the reasoning. Mainly because it agress with my own. The Geneva Convention does lay down certian rules for the treatment of all prisoners, even unlawful combatants, and the UCMJ lays down certain rules for the application of military commisions. The administration tried to get a little to cute and got slapped.
Post a Comment

OSCP begins

There was a little bit of confusion on when I was supposed to start this - initially I thought the 19th, then I got an email saying the ...